Firstly, can you please tell us a little about yourself and what a health coach is?
Sure! My name is Melissa Ambrosini and I am the founder of Path to Wellness, a holistic health and life coaching practice. My six-month Path to Wellness coaching program helps women end their torturous relationship with their bodies, lose weight, gain more energy, clear skin, sparkling eyes, and—most importantly—fall head over heels back in love themselves—all without calorie counting, deprivation, or limitations!
I am a truth seeker, inspiration junkie, organic lifestyle lover, and photography wannabe who is living her dreams. I wake up each morning with the intention to live from my heart and help others do the same.
But, I have to be honest with you. I haven’t always been on this journey. I actually entertained quite a destructive path for many years. It looked a lot like this: Running around at a million miles per hour, working way too much, and not loving myself at all. I was highly stressed and anxious. I lived off champers, and canapés. I would get an average of four hours’ sleep a night. It was only a matter of time before my poor, little, exhausted adrenals packed up and went on holidays. With adrenal fatigue, thyroid problems, high levels of mercury, serious PMT, depression, loads of mineral deficiencies, adult acne, eczema and a serious case of the herpes simplex virus 1, my body was screaming at me to STOP. It was sending me loud, bright red, warning signs that it had had enough. My entire immune system shut down and the severity of the cold sore virus sent me straight to hospital.
Leading up to this event, I spent an extremely long and exhausting year in and out of emergency rooms, and the doctor’s office being a pin board and ignoring all the signs to slow down. That week in the hospital was the last straw for me! I realized I had to take back control of my health, my life, and my happiness. I realized I was the only person who could do this. I stopped looking outside of myself to find happiness and started to connect with my inner self, my truth, my spirit, the bigger me.
This is where the magic happens, baby!
1. What are your 5 organic must haves?
I tend to buy all organic produce and products but my absolute must haves are:
1. Grass fed and grass finished meats
3. Skin care products
5. Cleaning products
2. What are your top tips for living a non-toxic lifestyle for people that are just starting out?
Do a kitchen and bathroom clean-out. Read the labels and get rid of anything with nasty chemicals in it. Or, if that’s too overwhelming, as one thing runs out, buy the natural or organic version to replace it.
Making the switch over to a non-toxic lifestyle is a process. Bear that in mind. I thought I would never get to the point where everything was organic and now it is. It’s nice to know I have a toxic-free, beautiful house to come home to every day.
3. Why is it important for you to live an organic lifestyle?
Living an organic lifestyle not only makes me feel better physically, but it makes me feel better emotionally to know that I am doing my part for the planet. Living an organic lifestyle means I tread a little lighter on this beautiful earth and that makes me happy ☺
4. Do you have any guilty treats that you indulge in?
My type of ‘guilty treats’ (although I don’t really call them that) are raw cacao bliss balls, raw cheesecake or buckwheat muffins mmmm! Now I want one. Hehehe! I recently made mini raw carrot cakes and they were heaven. All my delicious gluten free recipes are on my blog. Check em out here!
5. What are your favourite natural therapies?
I use to get Omilux facials, which I loved. But these days I just see my amazing kinesiologist, when I need it. I also really love acupuncture.
6. Do you have a favourite healthy meal you prepare at home?
Absolutely! I have loads! But my partner and I love my san choy bow recipe. It’s so quick and easy and taste delicious. Recipe found here.
7. Do you have any tips on natural cleaning products?
Use them—especially if you have little bubs crawling around on the floors. Kids tend to put their fingers and hands straight into their mouths, so you don’t really want them crawling around on highly-toxic bleach and other nasty chemicals. Pick yourself up some spray bottles and organic essential oils and make your own home cleaning products. They smell divine and are much better for your health.
9. How do you de-stress and relax?
I use to be a highly stressed person and I regularly suffered anxiety and panic attacks. So, I have had to work very hard at bringing down my anxiety and stress levels. Daily, I meditate, walk in nature or along the beach, have a tea on my balcony, read an inspiring book or blog, journal or cook. Cooking is mediation for me. I love it!
10. Do you take any supplements to help you stay healthy?
I believe we can get everything we need from eating a well-balanced, organic plant based, whole foods diet. However, many people aren’t doing that. That’s when supplementation can really help support their bodies until they are balanced. Currently, I am not taking anything but a good probiotic. Krill oil and multi-vitamins are what I have taken in the past. I also don’t suggest taking things just for the sake of it. Go see a naturopath and get some tests done to see what’s going on with you.
11. What are your top 5 secret beauty tips?
1. Try not to put too much on your skin. This is what ages us and causes our bodies to work harder to break it all down.
2. Use coconut oil in your hair and on your skin.
3. Do dry body brushing daily. I do this every morning and love what it has done for my skin. It’s so smooth and tight.
4. Go makeup free. Aim to wear no makeup a few days per week. You’ll be lucky if you see me with makeup on most of the time. I hate the stuff! It clogs my pores and makes me feel icky. I much prefer the natural look.
5. Drink at least 2 liters of clean filtered water every day. This will do wonders for your skin and help you flush out the toxins.
12. What are your favourite fun things to do on the weekend?
– I love going to the farmers’ market on Saturday mornings and getting all my fresh produce for the week and a beautiful fresh bunch of flowers.
– Riding my bike around Bondi.
– Lying on the beach or grass with beautiful friends.
– Spending time with my love.
– Reading and relaxing in nature.
13. Do you have a morning ritual or routine that you follow and if so what does it involve?
I sure do! I love my morning ritual.
This is what it looks like:
– Wake up.
– Meditate for twenty minutes and then journal.
– Exercise (either training, yoga, walking, or soft sand jogging).
– Dry body brushing before my shower.
– Breakfast time.
– I usually pull out an angel card before I start my day.
Then I begin my ‘work day’. This morning ritual sets me up for a kick-ass day. I love it!
14. What’s you favourite restaurant/cafe at the moment?
To be honest I don’t eat out that much. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at home 97% of the week. That way, I know exactly where and how my food has been prepared and cooked. My cooking rocks and tastes delish!
15. Do you have any tips for new Mummies?
Make sure you are nourishing yourself as much as possible. Otherwise, you will only run yourself into the ground and we don’t want that. Nourish yourself with organic real whole foods, loads of filtered water, rest and self-love time.
For more inspiration on self love, health, wellness and yummy recipes connect with Mel here at: www.pathtowellness.com.au