2. What are your 5 must have baby essentials?
1) Lucas Pawpaw Ointment, I put it on anything that’s red and it clears it up
2) Gaia natural baby products, I use the body wash and moisturiser
3) A good swaddle, in the cooler months I used the Halo sleep sack but now it’s warming up I use the love to dream organic swaddle
4) A good bib, River man has just started drooling quite a bit, we picked up a cute one from The Village Markets the other week from Sweet Child Of Mine, it’s like a little bandana and soaks everything up really well
5) 1.5m x 1.5m sheet of clear plastic purchased from spotlight, we have it under his change table for any unexpected peeing or pooing accidents, it’s saved the carpet thousands of times
3. What are your 5 must have Mummy essentials?
1) Probably Lucas Paw Paw as well, I think I’m a little addicted to it, I put it on my lips all the time,
2) As I’m still losing my baby weight, black clothes! They are my best friend they can hide a multitude of sins
3) My breast-feeding pillow, it’s definitely helped save me from leaning over all the time and putting strain on my back
4) My baby carrier, River man can get a bit restless at the shops sometimes, so I pop him in and he usually nods off, love it!
5) Cheap cloth nappies from Kmart, I use them as rags to clean up spit up, I have them all over the house
4. What is your fondest memory of being pregnant?
Probably the first time I really felt little man kick. I was sitting at work behind the computer and I felt 3 or 4 distinct kicks. I had been feeling flutters for a while, but these were definite kicks and I just sat there grinning from ear to ear fighting back the tears.
5. Can you give us 5 words to describe your labor?
Exciting, exhausting, horrendous, relief, love
6. What’s the funniest thing your baby has done to date?
My little River man is a very funny boy, every day he’s doing something new and hilarious, but just recently he started making this new face, he looks as though he’s sucked on a lemon, he screws his face up and purses his lips together super tight and it cracks me up every time
7. What’s your profession & do you plan on returning to it now that you’re a Mummy?
I work in admin at Jupiters Casino, and unfortunately I will have to return to work, I’m looking at late January 2013, River will be just over 6 months. If money grew on trees I would be a stay at home mum forever!
8. What advice can you give to expectant mothers?
Enjoy your pregnancy! Looking back i wish I took more time to appreciate what my body was doing. Instead I bitched and moaned a lot and didn’t really enjoy it. The next time I’m pregnant I’m definitely going to take a different approach.
9. What’s the thing that you least expected about motherhood?
Definitely how natural being a mum would come to me.
10. What’s your favourite weekly activity that you and your baby do together?
I started going to a weekly mothers group on Tuesday with little man, we haven’t managed to get there as often as I would like, but I absolutely loved the interaction with other mumma’s and it was awesome seeing River checking out all the other babies.
11. What does it mean to be an “eco friendly” Mummy? & How do you keep it green?
I wish I could say that I’m a lot more eco friendly then I am, but we try, I breastfeed, I’m sure that must be eco friendly and we wash in cold water, I just read in one of your previous interviews about the bamboo nature nappies which are disposable biodegradable nappies, love that, I’m going to make the switch!
12. Even on the hardest day (when you’ve had NO sleep) what still makes you smile?
What makes me smile is River, I could be so sleep deprived I can barely open my eyes, then I’ll go into his room and I’ll see him kicking his legs and giggling and how can I not smile, he just lights up my world.
13. Do you need to stick to any kind of diet or cut any foods out due to breastfeeding and if so why?
I think I’ve been very lucky, I haven’t had to cut anything out of my diet, so far so good, touch wood!
14. What’s your favourite healthy meal that you serve to your family?
I’m a little obsessed with the little packets of masterfood spices that you can get for chicken. It’s so simple cut some chicken breasts into strips then pop them in a freezer bag, add the spices and shake around, cook for 15min and serve with a salad, quick and simple.
15. What’s the thing that happens that makes you think & or say “Oh no not again!”
Probably spew. Little man is going through a bit of a spew phase at the moment, I have cloths all around the house and I’m sooooo glad we went for the leather couch, I can’t imagine the mess if we’d got fabric